I woke this morning, as I do most Mondays, with the week’s requirements present on my heart and mind. Rather than feeling daunted by all that lies ahead as I occasionally do, I felt an uncharacteristic calm. There is much to get done and everything seems to drip with import and implication, but it feels strangely manageable.
I started thinking about the rhythm of my life and all the surrounding movements that have led me to this place. I thought it might be helpful to share a few. The movement from…
- Knowledge To Experiential Wisdom – In our information society, we honor and esteem knowledge above almost all else. I don’t really care how much you know, but I desperately want to know what you’ve learned, how you learned it, and how much it cost you. Experiential knowledge trumps information every time.
- “Friends” To Deep Fellowships Of The Heart – I don’t need to look any further than the closest phone to know that I have hundreds of “friends.” But thin and superficial acquaintances offer little real value other than broad familiarity. I have increasingly less friends, but a growing roster of deep fellowships.
- “Information About” To Conversational “Intimacy With” - I used to esteem knowledge above all else. I read, studied, and investigated with the best of them. But the movement from having knowledge about the Father to conversational intimacy with Him has changed everything. The proportional amount of time I spend talking with Him is exponentially increasing relative to the amount of time I spend reading about Him.
- Doing Right Things To Doing The Right Thing – Our culture has taught us (and the Church largely affirms) doing more stuff as the pathway and confirmation to a significant Christian life. In reality, maturity and impact dictates a different way. As we mature, our focus should narrow dramatically, but our impact substantially increase. Watch how often we celebrate the busy and how infrequently we celebrate the focused and abiding.
- Validation To Affirmation – It is an exhausting life that is built on controlling, manipulating, and measuring every relationship for the validation it might provide. Will they see me, like me, or think I am smart, funny, or wise? A posture of God’s deep affirmation and knowledge of you, trumps the applause of the largest crowd. The weight of Him removes the need for any other voice.
- Victim To Redemptive Perspective – Focusing on the fact that the redemption of all things was His intention and our privileged reality, changes everything. We are not merely hapless victims to suffer through the vagaries of a fallen world, but a canvas for each subsequent redemptive masterpiece.
- Eternity To Kingdom At Hand – I am no longer pining for the way up yonder, but focusing on the Kingdom of heaven that is at hand. As the Savior instructed (and I mostly ignored in my faith journey), the Kingdom as God intended is present, predominate, and unfolding all around us.
These are some of the rare treasures that are changing the way I view the Kingdom, our God, and my life. I pray they are increasingly the rhythm of yours as well. Don’t quite know how I could function otherwise.
- Are you aware of all the things that affect your perspective and approach to the world?
- Are you drowning in information and “friendships,” but utterly confused and alone?
- Are you walking under a King in a Kingdom with the restoration of all things as your presiding world view?
- Are you heading into this week fearful and burdened or hopeful and expectant?